Social media marketing statistics are a great way to assess what platforms are worth your time and resources. By looking back at the year before, we can see what’s on the rise for the year ahead!
3.2 billion people — about 42% of the population — use social media, according to a 2019 report from Emarsys.
With so many platforms, users, and changing trends, what social media channels should your business be on — and what is the most effective content to post?
Here are the essential social media marketing statistics for 2020:
Social Media Marketing Overview
- According to EMarketer, millennials use social media the most (90.4% of the population). Gen X uses it the second most (77.5%). And Baby Boomers use it the least (48.2%).
- Buffer found that 73% of marketers believe social media marketing has been “somewhat effective” or “very effective” for their business.
- According to the Global Web Index, 54% of consumers use social media to research products.
- Facebook is the third-most visited website worldwide, trailing only after Google and YouTube.
- In Q3 of 2019, Facebook had more than 45 billion monthly active users and 7 million advertisers.
- 89% of marketers use Facebook in their brand marketing, according to Sprout Social. 66% of consumers say they “like” or “follow” a brand on Facebook.
- 74% of Facebook users log in daily.
- 4 billion people used Facebook groups, as of April 2019, according to Facebook.
- More than 90 million small businesses used Facebook products as of January 2019.
- Instagram has over 1 billion monthly active users — it has grown steeply in popularity in recent years.
- According to Sprout Social, 90% of users follow a business on Instagram.
- Instagram Stories are also rising in popularity. There were 500 million daily active stories worldwide in January 2019, according to Statista.
- Instagram is the most popular platform for influencer marketing.
- Video seems to perform better on Instagram.
- As of Q1 2019, Twitter had about 330 million active users.
- According to Sprout Social, people are 26% more likely to view ads on Twitter than any other leading platform.
- 79% of Twitter users like discovering what’s new.
- Tweets with hashtags get 100% more engagement.
- In 2019, people watched 2 billion videos on Twitter per day.
- LinkedIn has 660 million registered users and 303 million active members.
- 90 million of those users are senior-level influencers, according to Sprout Social. 63 million are in decision-making positions.
- LinkedIn is 277% more effective than Facebook for generating leads.
- 95% of B2B content marketers use LinkedIn for organic content & 76% use it for paid advertising.
- 98% of LinkedIn members are part of at least one LinkedIn group, and most are members of multiple groups.
- YouTube had 2 billion monthly active users worldwide in 2019.
- It’s the second most popular social media platform, following Facebook.
- According to Wearflint, at least 90% of U.S. internet users, aged 18 to 44, have accessed YouTube.
- Buffer reports that 62% of businesses have a YouTube channel where they post video content.
- Think With Google found that 90% of people say they have discovered new brands or products on YouTube.
- Marketers are increasing their digital video budgets by 25% year-over-year, according to Sprout Social. Social network video ad spending is also on the rise.
- 53% of customers say they’re likely to buy from brands that are transparent on social.
- 67% of consumers consider video to be the most transparent type of social media posts.
- Mobile matters. More people are accessing social media from their smartphones. It’s becoming increasingly important that your content is optimized for mobile use.
Create the perfect social media marketing strategy for 2020 and beyond. Learn more about DigiForce Marketing’s social media programs by calling 1-888-701-4441 or visiting www.digiforcemarketing.ca.